In this helpful video Amma-Lee encourages us to take an honest inventory of who we are. She asks us to look at our character defects and personal assets; two areas that denial and distraction can keep us from becoming aware of. This process is referred to in 12-step recovery programs as the 6th step: We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character. By assessing these areas of your life you no longer risk falling into the trap of D.E.N.I.A.L. = Don’t Even Notice I Am Lying. It is through self-awareness and compassion that you take the first steps towards self-acceptance.
WORKSHEET ON DENIAL VS SELF-ACCEPTANCE
Write down the answers to the following questions:
1. Write a list of all of your character defects – What areas in your behavior do you want to improve? For each write down:
A. Why would you want to keep it?
B. Why do you want to be relieved of it?
2. Write down a list of your assets – What positive character points do you have, what are you good at? For each asset write down:
A. Why do you want to keep it?
B. Why would you want to be relieved of it?
3. How do you envisage becoming ready, and preparing yourself to be relieved of aspects of your personality that no longer serve your greatest good?
4. What would it mean for you to have your Higher Power relieve you of these self defeating behaviors?
5. What does self-acceptance mean to you?
6. What are ways you can practice self-acceptance?
© Amanda Lee
Thank you Amanda, great food for thought! May I just ask about your artwork, where is it from? Did you create it? Thanks, Carly
Thank you Carly!
Some of the artwork is mine and some is from other artists. I do my best when I have sourced the art to give credit to the artist.
This is so new to me. I see the post prior to mine is from 2015. I realize I may be so far behind the comment that none of it’s comtent have connection to anyone any longer. However, I was wondering if you could direct me to a list of these defects that the worksheet asks you to list? I appreciate the help.
Please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to help. Warmth, Amanda.
Pingback: Seeking Refuge In The Red Tent – Terminally Forgetful
Pingback: Ask Amma-Lee: Raising Children with an Alcoholic Parent – Terminally Forgetful
Pingback: Humility vs Humiliation – Terminally Forgetful