When we’ve passed through the awareness that grasping fist-tightened and jaw-clenched to self-will doesn’t work to improve our lives; What is the next step to freedom? Who will be your guide on the journey of life, if it isn’t you? How do you make the decision to allow something else to guide your way?
A Power Greater Than Yourself
The previous article in this year long series introduced us to the concept of considering what spiritual sanity means to you. You also took a look at your spiritual history: What you were taught, How you chose to practice living a spiritual life, and What your concept of a Higher Power is.
Faith Without Work = Fear
As a survivor and recovering addict I have found it challenging to make decisions and to stay committed to them. What do we do when we feel that we are in danger? We fight, freeze or run away. Many of you may be acutely aware of living your life as if the threat of abuse lingers regardless of the safety of your environment or relationships. If I am not committed to working on my recovery from abuse and addiction I am guaranteeing myself a return to a life mired in fear.
I wish I could tell you that we can have a life free from fear, abuse, and the temptation to relapse simply because we want it and deserve it. This is not the case. If I want a new life of freedom, then I need to do the work to get it.
It is like strengthening a muscle or learning a new language. My desire to become stronger or more skilled does not make it so. Your dedicating yourself daily, one day at a time, to taking action towards transforming your life will enable you to have a new life. I believe in your ability to do this, if you are questioning your resolve or are scared: Reach out and ask for Help!
How does abuse and addiction affect your ability to have faith in God?
There is no one better fit to answer that question than You. The following worksheet will give you the opportunity to delve into a process of self-reflection to not only consider the obstacles to living a God directed life, but to actually realizing it. You can heal when you do the work to get there!
WORKSHEET FOR STEPS TOWARDS LIVING A GOD DIRECTED LIFE
THE THIRD STEP: MADE A DECISION TO TURN OUR WILL AND OUR LIVES OVER TO THE CARE OF GOD AS WE UNDERSTOOD GOD.
Step Three Worksheet
WRITE DOWN OR ANSWER THE FOLLOWING:
1. Look up the definitions of: Willingness, Surrender & Decision
2. What does becoming Willing mean to you?
3. What does choosing to Surrender mean to you? When have you Surrendered in the past?
4. How do you make Decisions?
5. What things, people or circumstances have you tried to control in the past and how has that turned out?
6. Describe who or what you trust and to what degree.
7. How do you develop trust in someone?
8. How would you answer the question “Who am I?”
9. How would you answer the question “Who is God?” In other words, describe God as you understand God and would like God to be for You.
10. What do you think about making a decision to turn your life over to God?
11. What are your greatest fears about giving up control over your life to God as you understand God?
12. Do you think that God will be able to handle your life better than you have?
13. In what ways will you keep up the process of turning your life over to God? What changes do you expect to make and how will this look in specific detail?
14. How will you celebrate and honor this step of turning your life over to the care of God?
Please share your answers or any questions you may have in the comments section below.
For additional tools for healing and recovery:
Subscribe to Amanda Lee’s Blog
Do you have questions about recovery or healing from trauma, abuse, alcoholism or addiction:
© Amanda Lee